Thursday, September 30, 2010

One of my new favorite things

See these bad boys right here?


Yeah. These guys are attached to my feet more often than shoes are. I call them my sheilas. Not out loud or anything. Just in my head. But yeah. I ride them to class, in between classes, after class...I love it. I usually go out and cruise campus with them late at night several times a week. Sure, I probably look like a tool using them, but still. It's wicked fun. And it's super efficient too. One of the beautiful things about USU campus is that it's all very close to everything. A person can walk from one end of campus to the other in about 10 minutes. So, if I strap these guys on, I can get across campus in two minutes. This comes in handy when I leave my dorm at 8:28 for my 8:30 class. And yes. I still get there on time.

One problem comes from using these bad boys all the time though. Generally, there are other people on the sidewalks too. There isn't anything quite like the adrenaline rush you get weaving in and out of the 8:30 sidewalk traffic while on blades. That fact has made things hazardous on occasion. One morning for instance, I was booking it to class because I was late. I was going at least 50-60 mph. I was weaving in and out or people with my mad skills as usual. But then I came to a big crowd of people. There was a gap on the left side though, so I decided to go for it. As I did, a biker all of a sudden came out of nowhere heading straight for me. I veered left into a lawn, which I discovered was wet. My feet came straight out from under me and I landed flat on my back. Right in front of all the people. I bruised my coccyx and my arm got nice and scraped up. It was awesome! It's been the only spill so far, but it still hasn't stopped me from tearin' up the streets.

If you've never tried blading before, you should consider it. It's quite awesome.






No comments:

Post a Comment