Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What the College...

So, I'm a college kid now. I know. Weird. I used to be so intimidated by kids in college. When you met them, they seemed like they were on drugs and wanted to beat you up. Not much has changed in that department. BUT! Now, I'm a peer amongst all of them. Its crazy to actually be here though. You think about it all your life and then you get here and it's like "this is it??" It hasn't been what I was expecting at all, not gonna lie. Here's a few ways I've been surprised by college thus far.

1) You have to do school work! I mean, what the heck! Everybody who goes to college comes home talking about the parties and the friends and the crazy good times. I think they just repress the fact they have hours upon hours of homework and reading assignments to go along with those parties.

2) People aren't going crazy about marriage like everybody is always talking about! In high school, that's all people talked about. Marriage = college. Yeah, I'm pretty sure 99% of the population up here could care less about marriage right now. They're too busy having fun and doing school work right now. Of course, I've only been here for 3 weeks so people really haven't had much time to 'get it on' yet, but all I know is that I've met two married people in all my classes with upper class men. Everybody else is single and don't intend to change anytime soon.

3) The diversity up here BLOWS MY MIND!! I knew USU had a large population of international students before I got here, but dang. I see women in Muslim hijabs every day. I hear African, French, Spanish, Chinese, Japenese, and a whole other load of languages in conversation as I walk down the street. I've seen full body tattoos and bodies covered in piercings. It's been quite a huge change compared to little sheltered STG! Probably the biggest change is the religious diversity though. Not a single one of my 5 roommates are LDS. In fact, it seems its hard to find others of the same faith as me. There's plenty of pros and cons of that of course. But that can be another discussion for another day.

4) Finally, the lifestyle is so much different compared to high school. Back in SCHS, I could easily name more than half the kids I passed in the halls. Here, I don't see the same people more than a few times a week. Living by my judgment has been very different. I eat when I'm hungry. I sleep when I'm tired. I go rollerblading when I'm bored. I watch balloonshop when I want to procrastinate. Ok sure, I did most of that stuff back home. But, it never happened on my schedule. There isn't a lunch bell saying when I can eat food. I don't have my parents making sure I go to bed. It's just me. Again, there's plenty of pros and cons to it, but I know having this much freedom has definitely changed who I am.

That's just a taste of the few things that have taken me by surprise up here. There's still so much more I could say about it all too. But all I know is that I'm doing my very best to adapt and embrace the new lifestyle I have now. I mean, why not? It's not like this is going to be how I'm gonna live for the rest of my life....oh wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment