Sunday, May 22, 2011

This week wasn't quit as exciting as last week, but lots of good things still happed. I went on exchanges at the beginning of the week down to the Rockland area. Get this. I was teaching in the town of St. George. Ironic right? The family we taught thought it was pretty funny. They told me that St. George, UT got its name because some of the settlers there were from St. George, ME. I don't know if I believed it, but it was a pretty good story. While on exchange, I also got to see another lighthouse- the Owls Head Light. We went and saw it one night.  I've been taking lots of pictures lately. Now that spring is here, it's gorgeous. I seriously can't get over it. I've never seen anything as beautiful as Maine right now. I couldn't get over it yesterday. But I'll send some pics to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

 Something else cool- I had my first Maine lobster this week! A member took us out to eat and treated us to lobster. Man, the process of eating a lobster is brutal. It gets boiled alive, then has its claws ripped off and cracked open, followed by being snapped in half so the tail can be eaten, then the legs get ripped off and sucked clean....it was delicious though. I've never eaten anything like it before. I look forward to doing it again. I just had to remind myself that all creatures are given to us for our use. And lobsters are put to good use in Maine, that's for sure.

The work went well. We're doing really good with an investigator named Edward. He just lost his job, so we ding-dong ditched a box of food on his porch. He got really mad and told us he called the cops about it. We went back the next week and told him it was us. Luckily, he wasn't too mad at us. We're trying to teach him to trust in God, because he says he can't trust anything or anybody anymore. He has lived a really tough life. He's living in a literal shack alone. But, I know the gospel "takes the slums out of a man so he can take himself out of the slums." That's what we're going for.

 Serena is still looking good for her baptism next Saturday. I can't wait- It'll be my first! We have two others getting close plus a family ready to talk about it. We've been doing really good with less actives and members this week. We taught an awesome lesson on Hope to a member family last night. The "Christlike Attribute" section of Preach My Gospel is amazing. I'd recommend everyone to read through it and dilligently study it. . Great things come from it.

Anyways, those are some of the highlights. Lots is going on! Missionaries never have a dull moment. But I want to leave a quote I got from a member on Sunday in his talk. I thought about it and put it into a context. The thought is this: "When frustrated, ask youself "Is this what I want, or what God wants?" When we align ourself with God, we'll want what he wants, and thusly, he'll want what we want, causing us to see his hand and his blessing constantly, giving us peace and happiness. Think about that a bit. It's a pretty intense concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment