Monday, December 5, 2011

Happy December!!

This week was awesome. The trip down to Manchester was way fun. I got to see a ton of missionary friends who were on the other side of the mission, including my trainer and past companions. We learned a ton too. We had training on combating people who have been anti-ed, using the scriptures more effectively, how to have better district meetings, how to be better trainers, how to deal with it being dark at 5 PM, etc. I also was one of 5 elders who received a specialized training on family history. That was really cool. I got really familiar with new.familysearch.org. I can picture myself getting hooked on that stuff- that Spirit of Elijah is serious stuff! Also, funny story. I got a little rebuked by President Wilkey haha. We had an extended dinner break, so me and a few elders went to the Primary room to hang out. I hoped onto the piano and started playing around. I slowly drifted into less-than-hymn types of music. Suddenly, President Wilkey walked in to grab his briefcase. Unfortunately, he walked in right when I was playing and singing along to "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" by Chicago hahahaha. He gave me a gentle little rebuke and went on his way. So. Needless to say, I'm going to tighten up a bit on my piano playing haha. But he joked about it with me after so I know it wasn't anything serious. Just another step for me developing a set apart heart.


Christmas is definitely in the air here. Christmas lights are going up like crazy. There was a huge parade down main street the day after Thanksgiving that was fun. We went to it and did some street contacting. A ward member is getting us to go caroling with them every Sunday for the rest of the month. That'll be fun too. I'm excited to see what Christmas on the mission will be like. Of couse, It wont be able to compare to Christmas back home, but I can already tell I will be feeling more of the true meaning of Christmas out here. Also, to answer a question I've gotten a lot, the weather is actually insanely good. They say it's one of the most mild pre-winters ever. I'm loving it. But, everybody tells us "Just wait. It'll come." That's exciting...kinda. They say it'll come in the next three weeks. Let's hope not! The longer the snow will stay away, the better! My companion feels the same way, being from Vegas. We're getting along great though. He's a total goof-ball, but we still have lots of fun. One thing I've been learning lately is that I can be more easy-going and laid-back than I ever gave myself credit for. Or maybe it's just something I'm learning out here. I dunno. But it's nice not ever being stressed. Good change from the rest of my life haha.


So, we had a total miracle this week. On Thursday, we were sitting in the church for District Meeting, when our family history consultant came to the door and called me out. I went, and she had a guy with him. She said "This young man wants to investigate." His name was Eric. He told us he'd been doing research online the last few months and thought we were the church for him and wanted to learn more. We were ecstatic! We met with him that night to teach him the Restoration. He loved it. We gave him a tour of the church, and said it just felt right and said he'd want to be baptized. We found out he had a girlfriend with a kid on the way, which isn't the best thing for a missionary to hear because they have to be living the Law of Chastity to be baptized, but he asked us if the church could marry them because he wants his to be born into a family. Boo ya! The next day, he texted us saying how good he feels and asked how much it costed to be baptized!! hahaha how sweet is that? Eric came to church on Sunday with his girlfriend Ashley, and they said they loved it. Eric even got up and bore his testimony, during which, he said he was grateful for Joseph Smith for allowing him to be there that day. During Sunday School, he talked to the bishop about getting married and being baptized. After church, we were teaching Ashley the Restoration. After we taught about Eternal Families, Eric looks over at Ashley and proposed on the spot! It was crazy! She accepted, and they want to be married by the end of the month. Last night, he texted us talking about how much he loves family scripture study and prayer, and how he's already talking to his friends about coming to church with him. Sooooo.......yeah. Basically....ITS THE COOLEST THING EVER!! Total testimony builder to me that Heavenly Father is preparing people to receive the Gospel. They're looking for the truth, but they just don't know where to find it!


Ok, I better get going. Lots to do today! Love you all! Can't wait to talk to you in a few weeks! Enjoy the Christmas season!


-Faithfully,


Elder KC Esplin

No comments:

Post a Comment