Monday, February 13, 2012

Transfers and I'm now a Zone Leader

So. This last weekend was transfer call weekend. And sure enough, I got the call. The verdict- I'm leaving Waterville. I'm kind of bummed about it. I've grown to love this area so much, and I've put my heart and soul into it, and have seen it change and grow in incredible ways. It's going to be hard to leave.

 But...that wasn't the end of the phone call. The phone call was actually by the mission president. After telling my companion I was being transferred, he asked to speak to me and asked if I was sitting down. NOT a good sign if you ask me. He then told me he was extending a calling to me from the Lord to be a Zone Leader. He told me that the Lord qualifies those who he calls, and that I was being called for a reason. He asked if I had any questions, and moved on to make other calls.

 So...yeah. Looks like I get to be a Zone Leader now!

 I still don't know where I'm going yet...but I have a preeeetty good idea. I'm not going to transfer meeting, and I'm 90% sure I'm not going to Bangor, ME because of the travel plans I have, so that leaves either Auburn, ME or Exeter, NH. But, I'm 90% sure that I'll be going to Auburn, ME. If so, that'd be awesome. My companion would be Elder Nicholes, and I served in a trio with him in Belfast, and he's probably one of my best friends I've made so far on my mission. Plus, that apartment has a washer and drier AND an organ! I'd be in heaven. I'd be over the Augusta zone, which would be a change of scenery. But, I still don't know for sure, nor will I know until tomorrow afternoon when a car comes to the apartment to pick me up and drop my replacement off. I'm really excited to see how all of these changes will be! It'll be a new adventure, a new chance to grow. I can't wait!

 This last week went really well. It was a little slow, and I struggled a little with my focus because I was anticipating being transferred, but it was still a great week. We had some incredible lessons. One of them was with a part-member family. It consists of a less-active dad, a non-member wife, and four non-member kids. We taught them for the first time two weeks ago, and they liked it a lot. We committed them to pray individually and as a family. When we came back this last Thursday, they had kept their commitment and all of them had prayed! The coolest thing is, the 13-yr-old twins both said they felt butterflies in their stomach when they did and wondered what it was. The 15-yr-old said she felt the strangest feeling that someone was actually listening to her. We were super excited!! We immediately jumped into the Spirit and helped them recognize that they were feeling it. They were really excited about that. We then had a great lesson on the Book of Mormon, gave them each a copy, and they were more than eager to start reading. One of the girls sat down and started reading as soon as we left. They'll be baptized. Mark my words.

 We had another incredible lesson with a wife of a member of the ward. She's a Seventh-Day Adventist, and has very strong beliefs in that faith. On Friday, we watched the Joseph Smith movie with her (the one they showed at temple visitor centers a few years ago) and talked about everything he did. The Spirit was SO strong. Probably the strongest I've felt it on my mission. We were all in tears. She's reading the Book of Mormon, loving it, and praying to know if it's the truth. She'll be baptized too. Mark my words haha.

 We had a lot of other lessons where the Spirit was so strong. I'm beginning to realize just how critical the Spirit is in our lives. That's how we find our happiness and peace- by having the Spirit. And we have the Spirit by honoring our baptismal covenant and placing ourselves in environments where it can exist. And by not having it, we surrender peace and happiness. That doesn't sound like a very smart thing to me. I'm finding that the more I turn my heart to God, the more I'm feeling it, and the happier I become. It's a remarkable experience!

 So yeah. That's my life right now. I'm really sad to leave the area when so many investigators are progressing and doing great things, and when the ward has finally caught on fire and they're doing missionary work like it's never been done in Waterville before. I'd love to be here a little longer. But, I have faith that this transfer comes from the Lord, and I'm eager to go to a new area with new people to bring to Christ, a new ward to work with, a new companion to unite with, and new growth and change that I can bring into myself to make myself the man, husband, and father I'll need to be one day. I'm almost half way done with my mission- it's time to kick it into overdrive!

I love you all, and hope you have a great week. I'll let you know next week where I ended up for sure. Stay tuned!



-Faithfully,



Elder KC Esplin



P.S.- I'm horribly behind in letter writing, and I'll have zero time to write today because I'll be packing and whatnot, and I don't know how much free time I'll have on P-days from now on now that I'll be dealing with Zone Leader duties...But I WILL write everybody back who writes me. Keep being patient with me please! And please keep writing and keeping me updated on how you're doing! Mail is an incredible boost for missionaries, and I LOVE hearing from you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment