Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sorry I'm writing so late

We got called in to staff meeting earlier than expected, then I had to drive up to Concord, NH to meet with the Stake President up there. Needless to say, it's been a crazy day. But! You'll be proud of me. I'm going to go suit shopping today. Assistants end up wearing a suit almost every day, and 3 out of my 4 suit pants have holes in them haha. So, I figured it's time for a new suit. We'll see how it goes!



I've had a pretty stellar week! Monday, we picked up the new missionaries from the airport, and I took two of them teaching with me to a lady we found last Sunday named Jodi. It was an incredible lesson on the restoration. In the middle of the lesson, I was feeling the Spirit, and I could tell she was too, so I asked her,"Do you feel that?" That warm, calming feeling you have right now." She smiled and said,"Yeah. I do." It was a super cool moment. (On a side note, we went back and taught her last night, and she's been praying a lot and is growing over her agnostic beliefs she's been fighting!). We spent the rest of the night with the new missionaries. The next day was transfers. Elder Sommerfeldt took off with his new missionary to Waterville, and I received Elder Baker as my new companion. He's from the Texas/Oklahoma area. He was baptized just 2 years ago, and has a catholic background. So far, we're really enjoying working together. He goes home in 2 transfers though, so that means I'll probably end his mission. I'm looking forward to it. After transfer meeting, we hit the ground running for the next two days teaching like crazy. On top of that, we made a trip to Exeter, NH for a district meeting. Friday was a day of basically nothing but planning. We taught a lesson in the morning, went to planning with President Wilkey from 11-4, then finished doing things at the office until 8. We have specialized zone trainings in every zone the next two weeks, so we were putting the polish on those. Then on Saturday...oh jeez...I don't think I can ever remember what we did on Saturday haha umm....Oh yeah. We just taught like crazy again. I think that between Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday, we probably taught like 10 lessons. Also on Saturday, we helped a less-active clean up her house. We've been working with her for quite some time now trying to get her to come to church, but nothing has worked...but we dropped by one night and she was really sick. She finally told us she had cancer and was going through chemo. We asked if we could serve her in any way, and she asked if we could come over to help her clean her house. We agreed and did that Saturday. After cleaning for a few hours, we shared a Mormon.org profile of Tessa, who is fighting cancer. It really touched her, and we told her she needed to make God a part of her life if she is to get through all this. The next day, she came to church!! It was a miracle. It's crazy how service can soften even the hardest of hearts. (also, as a side benefit of the service, we got a bunch of bags of clothes and toys to give out to kids. I even scored a legit transformer toy for myself! Yes!)



Sunday was great too in the fact we got 2 other less-actives there! We were pretty excited about that. It was ward conference, so the stake president was down to speak, and it was a power-punch of a sacrament meeting. I even got to play a special musical number on the piano during it. I played "Be Still My Soul" again. I sure do love that hymn. After church, we went to dinner at a ward members (he's a chiropractor and is doing a pretty good job at selling me to become one one day), and had an AWESOME lesson with Matt and Kristina. They've been doing so good. Kristina has been getting hard core on her conversion. She's begun playing the Mormon channel radio station in the house, she's put a strict "no cursing" rule on the house, she teaches the kids about God every day...and it's so cool too because she doesn't have religious background at all. At first she didn't want to pray or read and was quiet, but now she volunteers to pray almost every time, she's completely changing the way she acts around the kids, and it's all just awesome. She's truly being converted to the gospel! Matt is coming along too. I've been hammering out the logical arguments about anything and everything, and he's starting to realize that there really isn't a part of the gospel that can't make sense. He's really starting to warm up to it all. They're all set to be baptized on August 17th! We're super excited for them. Oh yeah, we had a really special moment with them this week too. We told them about family home evening, and they really wanted to give it a try, but didn't' know how, so asked us to help them do it. We coached them through it all, and Matt gave a lesson about being a family forever to his wife and their 2-yr old and 4-yr-old son, and afterwords, we all drew pictures of us being with our families in heaven. It was such a special experience. Then last night, we had a really powerful lesson on how we can be healed of our sins through Christ. Man, being a missionary is just so awesome!! I love it.



Anyways, that's pretty much where we're at now. Life is still awesome. This next week should be pretty crazy. Tonight, we're driving up to Montpelier, Vermont to set up for a zone training tomorrow for basically the entire state of Vermont. The cool part- we're probably going to eat dinner at the KFC built on the place Joseph Smith had his leg surgery. They call it the "Holy KFC." It should be exciting! Then Thursday, we'll have another zone training up in Laconia, NH. The rest of the week will most likely be nothing but planning, keeping up on our teaching pool, and cleaning our old apartment for inspection here in the next two weeks. I'll be kept busy, you can rest assured of that!!



OK I better go. We still have a lot to do before we head up to Vermont. But I sure hope you all have a great week! Know that I love and miss you all, but I know I'm in the right place. I know that we are members of Christ's church and have the fullness of the gospel, and I'm so grateful to have been born in a situation where I can have it in my life. We're all so lucky to have what we do. Take care!!



-Faithfully,



Elder KC Esplin

No comments:

Post a Comment