Monday, November 26, 2012

I sure love this fast pace!

Alright, on to my last week. As expected, it ended up being insane. No big surprise there! We got word on last Saturday night that a missionary was going home early, so we ended up driving to Yarmouth, ME to pick up the elder. We also did an exchange with the zone leaders up there. I stayed in Yarmouth with an Elder Lewis from Logan, UT. We had fun talking about USU (he goes there as well). I really enjoyed the time I spent up there. We spent most of Tuesday morning working at a food pantry. We picked up food from a local market and took 3 car loads over and dropped it off and sorted it into the freezer and shelves and whatnot. They also told us we could grab anything we wanted for ourselves. As we were wondering around in the freezer, something caught our eye- a Maine lobster pizza. We couldn't let that one pass us by! Haha anyways, after the sorting, we helped families get boxes of food for Thanksgiving. After that, we got right to work and had some really awesome lessons. We had one with a lady named Sally. It was her first lesson. She had read the restoration pamphlet and came with concerns (she had grown up protestant). Most of them were pretty common concerns- the Trinity vs. the Godhead, Joseph Smith and the plates, the Resurrection, the Spirit World, etc. We did a pretty good job answering all of her questions out the Bible, but eventually brought it back to the clincher- "We understand why you have all these questions- they're all new to you. But we think all your questions can be boiled down to one simple one- 'Was Joseph Smith really a prophet?' If he was, then he saw God the Father and Jesus Christ, so we know they're two people, we know the Book of Mormon is scripture, we know the Spirit World is the next destination..." and so on. We then pointed her back to the way she can know if Joseph Smith really was a prophet is to read and pray about the Book of Mormon. She then looked me in the eyes and said, "So, do you really believe the Book of Mormon is true?" Moments like that are kind of intense at times. It really puts you and your testimony on the spot. Fortunately, this was one area I could bear with all sincerity of heart. I told her about how I came to know it was true, about the peace it brought and brings me, and about how I discovered the love of Christ through its pages. At the end of the testimony, I asked her, " Will you also read the Book of Mormon and pray to know if it's true?" She paused for a good 30 seconds. Finally, she looked up and said, " I will, but it sure is scary. If I get an answer to my prayers, that'[ll mean everything I've been taught isn't right." That was a wake up for me. I never even comprehended that someone might be scared to get an answer if the Book of Mormon is true. That would mean they'd have to change their lives and belief systems completely, and that's pretty overwhelming when you think about it! But, we bore testimony to her that we know that uniting with the truth would bring her closer to the Savior, and that is what's really important. Anyways, long story short, I walked away from the lesson probably having learned as much as Sally! On Wednesday, we drove up to Winthrop, ME for a district meeting, then E. Gaykowski picked me up in Yarmouth and we made the trek home. While on exchange, we got a phone call from President asking us to complete the interview schedules by Friday, which is a project that takes several hours and we were going to do week one of next transfer. So, we went right to the office and got to work! That takes us to Thanksgiving. It was very nice, but nothing fancy. We went to District Meeting in the morning, left right after to get to the office to work on the interview agendas, then went to a member family- the Spencers for Thanksgiving dinner. After, we shared a spiritual thought on gratitude from the Bible- the 10 lepers. After that, we went back to the office to help President with transfers. And that was my Thanksgiving! The next few days was just preparation for transfers. We did travel plans, helped with the board, prepared agendas and trainings, all that good stuff! And...yeah, that's my week! I'll tell you what, its getting a little tiring flying at this speed, but boy am I enjoying it! Alright, I better wrap this up. Today marks the beginning of the transfer. Elder Gaykowski will be going home. I'm pretty bummed- he's proven to be one of my favorite companions. I've learned a ton from him, and we taught really well together. I'll miss having him around. My new companion will come in tomorrow. I"m excited to serve with this elder too. This will mark my 5th transfer as an assistant. It'll be exciting!! Love you all!! Have a great week, and I'll be excited to hear from you next week!! -Faithfully, Elder KC Esplin

No comments:

Post a Comment