Monday, February 11, 2013

Another great week in Waterville

Welp, I sure am loving being back. The only down side so far is the cold. It's wicked cold right now! On Wednesday, it was negative 3 as we were driving around, and that wasn't factoring in the wind chill. Yeah, I've never been so cold in my life haha. Needless to say, since then I've been wearing the thermals a bit more often. It's warmed up a bit and the high has been in the teens, so that's been a nice break. It's supposed to drop back down soon I think I heard, so I'm just buckling up for that. A nice dose of STG weather doesn't sound so bad... But the work was been going AWESOME. We hit our 20 lesson mark! We were pretty stoked about that. Plus, we found 7 more new investigators. So the area is growing quickly. Also, we had a baptism this week!! It was for an investigator named Brandon. I was super excited to see him get baptized because I've actually known him almost my entire mission. When I was in my first area (Belfast), a member couple came up to us in church and said their less-active daughter had just married a guy who was Baptist, and about to go into the marines. He had some problems with the church, and they wanted us to see if we could smooth things over a bit. So, we went over, and that's when we met Brandon. We had a great lesson with him about the Book of Mormon. Shortly after, I got transferred from Belfast and he entered into the marines. Shortly after I arrived to Waterville last year, his wife- Denise- moved to Waterville. We interacted with her every now and then, but she was usually really busy with work and school, so not much happened. Then I got transferred. Upon returning to Waterville three weeks ago, I found out that Brandon had returned from the Marines, had started meeting with the missionaries, and was about to get baptized!! So I made it back just in time to participate. The service was great. We had a great turn out- including many less-actives and part-member families, along with a lot of ward support. They asked me to play piano and give a talk on baptism, and Elder J. Esplin baptized him. There was something pretty crazy that happened during my talk though. So what I did, was I acted as "God's lawyer" and wrote up a "contract" that God wanted him to enter into (the baptismal contract), and went though each part of the two sides of the deal. At the end of that, I drew a line at the bottom, looked at him, and asked, "Brandon, are you willing to enter into this contract with God?" He nodded and said, "Yes." Right then, the door to the baptismal font (which was right in the middle of the room) slowly swung open, and a minute later, the automatic light flipped on. It was really crazy. It could have just been a coincidence, but after we were trying to figure it all out and couldn't. Nobody walked in right then, the air didn't kick on, no other doors were opened, the door to the baptismal font just decided to swing open, and the lights came on shortly after. Everybody after was talking about it, about how they believed the Spirit was telling him something. He himself was really impressed from it and felt a confirmation that this is what he needed to do. Anyways, it was a super cool experience, and was a great baptism to end my mission on. Those were the big highlights of the week. We've been having some really awesome experiences teaching people. I"m teaching the Berard family again, which I'm really excited about. They're my favorite family I've taught on my mission, and it's so cool to see them back on the ball. We're visiting with Tammy more often, and her non-member fiance is getting involved. We're also working with a part-member family a lot, and the husband is an agnostic and is very logical so we've connect really well. Overall, I've just been super excited to be back, and we're having some great success. There couldn't have been a better way to end my mission than this! Alright, I better be off and enjoy the rest of P-day. Love you all! Have a great week!! -Faithfully, Elder KC Esplin

No comments:

Post a Comment