Monday, February 11, 2013

Hello hello!

v Hope you're all having a GREAT Monday. I know I sure am! I had a wicked awesome week. But I'll get more into that in a bit. So is there anything I should buy before I come home? Anything I'll need? Any advice on certain things you think would be fun to have as a memoir? I've been going through my stuff, throwing a TON of it away. I think I'll be very minimalistic with what I bring home. I'll have an abundance of suits and ties though. I think I'll be using them in the future haha. I think I've decided to change my major to business and minor in biology. I'll still be going into dentistry, but I think a business major would be easier to fall back on if things don't work out. So I thought I'd mix things up a bit by sharing my letter to President Wilkey this week. it does a pretty good job explaining the highlights of the week and how I've been feeling. Plus, it'll save on some time haha. So, here it is! President Wilkey!! Man, being back in Waterville has been SO awesome. I sure do love it here. The reality of me ending my mission soon is slowly setting in. But interestingly enough, it still hasn't. The fact I only have two weeks left is all in my head, but not in my heart. People keep bringing it up, but it doesn't seem to hit at all. I still seem to feel like I'm only at my year mark and that there isn't any life other than my mission. But to be honest, I don't mind that being my current perspective. It's keeping me centered on my purpose, and I'm being able to keep my trunkiness at bay. Elder J. Esplin seems to be doing really well. He's getting better and better at planning by the day. He sure is a trooper working through his migraines, and I'm learning so much about diligence and hard work from him. I also have been really enjoying his calm and charitable nature. He's pretty much one of the best companions I could have had to end my mission with! The work continues to move forward! It was a little bit of a slow week for proselyting it seemed, or at least only in comparison to the last few weeks. There's a lot of great progress though, especially with a part-member family we're working with. It's a less-active mom and a non-member husband and daughter. We stopped by during our first week because I remember meeting Kim stopping by less-actives last year. She revealed to us that she was low on food and they didn't have any money since they were both unemployed. So, we got some help from the ward, and brought them food once a week from the soup kitchen we worked at. At first, her husband hid in the other room. But as we kept coming over with food and blankets, he started to stick his head out to say hi. Eventually, she invited us into their house, and he came and sat down too. We shared our new years message, and just asked him about what he believed. We then invited the wife to retake the lessons, which she eagerly accepted, and invited the husband- Chris- to listen in, which he accepted as well. When we showed up to the first lesson, there was suddenly a 16 yr-old girl there, who was their daughter. She said she'd listen in as well. At first, Chris was very closed off and was more curious than anything. We taught on the Plan of Salvation. Later that week was the baptism, and he attended. He said he felt something there. We went back to teach the other half of the Plan, and he said he'd been thinking a lot about what we had said the week before. As we taught about the Celestial Kingdom, we explained to them both that the way to enter into the Celestial Kingdom was to have a valid baptismal covenant. We invited Kim to come to church so she could renew hers, and invited Chris and their daughter- Destiny- to come as well so they could see if they felt the Spirit there. They came this last Sunday! Testimony meeting really rocked his world, and he said he felt all "mushy and warm inside." That's a pretty big deal because this guy used to be in the army and is wicked tough and mean looking. They had only been planning on staying for Sacrament, but felt the Spirit so strongly, they decided to stay for all 3 hours. They invited us over to the house after for another lesson too. He said he's starting to find his faith again and is developing a relationship to God, which he's never experienced. He's being converted!! It's been SO refreshing to get to work with Chris and see the changes coming into his and their family's life. It's given me such a feeling of fulfillment knowing that I'm doing my job as a missionary. I honestly think this family is one of the reasons why I've been sent back to Waterville, and I know this is the sweetest way I could have ended my mission. So, thank you for being receptive to the Spirit to let me come back here. Although I dearly miss being at your side and working with you and Sister Wilkey and the office staff, I know this is where the Lord needed me to be, and I don't think there was any other way I'd like to finish my mission. The Lord is being very good to me. Love ya President! Have a great week, and I'll be excited to see you again on Thursday! -Faithfully, Elder K. Esplin

No comments:

Post a Comment